Monday, June 5, 2023

Refuge

I love libraries and bookstores and the only explanation I have for that (other than loving books) is they were refuge during my formative years. I did not spend a lot of time in my school library other than assigned class time in there, but I did spend a lot of time in the main branch of our city library system. I would beg my Mom to take me there every chance possible. It is located at the edge of downtown Louisville. The building itself is grand with it described as a Victorian-style Carnegie structure. There is a library museum in the basement and a display space on the main level where art installations and historical presentations are setup. Any time I could get a ride to the library, I would walk through the giant doors and breath in the wonderful library smell. I would browse the display space and possibly learn something before heading upstairs to the main stacks. I would grab books on any subjects that were in my mind at that point plus some fiction selections. The limit was ten books at a time, and I never had less than ten. There were numerous fines to be paid, and I always had to pay with my own money. As we rode home, I would run my hands over the books, pull out the check out cards in the back and view the other times the books had been checked out. Once home, I would disappear in my room with the stack and tackle a few books - I can remember many times trodding through a book that was clearly over my head, but I tried and many other times the books were just what I needed. The books served as my companion during many hard times and the library itself was like a cathedral. My brother often teased me about the books and library and Mom never liked driving downtown, but I appreciate the fact that she did. As I reflect back on those days, I see the books provided plenty of learning and fantasy, but they also provided hope of better times which did happen. I actually lived close to the main library branch in college and it never lost its luster. While I don't go there often these days, I still provide support and hope it helps others but now the Internet offers a gateway not available long ago.

No comments:

Post a Comment