Thursday, April 13, 2023

Lights out

One minute we are talking, the next minute we are bathed in darkness, the house completely silent. I scramble and finally locate a flashlight, heading outside to the power box. I open the lid/door and freeze, it is you and I standing next to your house. You turn towards me and tell me to step back, that someone needs to be available to call for help. You pull the black plastic breaker and hold it in the air, you turn and smile. I stand with the my own breaker in had - the same smile. I look at the dangling wires, remember when the guy at the hardware store explained how it all works? I install the replacement, never worrying about electrocusion as you did so many years ago. We laughed and high-fived when the new breaker was switch on and power returns to the hosue. I return to the family room, now bathed in light and noise from the television. She asks why I am smiling like a maniac and I give a wink to you, the one who survived and I never had to call for help. 

No comments:

Post a Comment