Tuesday, August 19, 2014

Raising black

When I was 13 years old, I showed off a new blue and chrome stick shift Schwinn 5 speed bike that dad mysteriously arrived and delivered the previous morning. It was complete with banana set and chrome finders - a thing of beauty. I showed everybody - even the older kds. Jeff, one of the olders, smiled broadly as I demonstrated its features. He was the coolest black kid in the nightborhood.

"Hey, I'm having some problems with the breaks and the right shifter." I casually let him know that is was basically a piece of chunk.

"<nice>, wellI think I can handle the break fix, any chance I could is? My black mongoose is having some timing issues.I bring it back as soon as finished.

There was an eerie silence as to figure out what to do.

"Deal?" His pearly whites flashed my way (compliments of Dr. Thressenger.

'Well, I dunno, I just got it and would get in trouble."

"Good points indeed, come to the debate club room one day." He sped away.

I was downtrodden, how could i let down my friend.

No comments:

Post a Comment