Thursday, August 7, 2014

Say what?

"Is this it?" I stand and stare down a dark sidewalk leading to an even darker porch and loudly ask myself the question.

I hesitate, looking to my left and right, searching for a sign of where I should go. I glance down at the address scribbled on the yellow post-it note in my hand - it matches the numbers to the left of the front door so I casually walk down the sidewalk, up the stairs and gently knock on the door.

"Where have you been?" Familiar faces greet me as the door swings open and the house swallows me leaving the darkness undisturbed.

"Sorry, I'm not familiar with this neighborhood. You'd think there would be a porch light or something, an open door? Geez." I roll my eyes, looking at the owner and back at the door. We don't like each other. I turn and chat with Hugh, my co-conspirator in the office.

"Get a load of Jen's dress." Hugh nudges me as he eyeballs the body in the low-cut, black revealing dress. His fascination with Jen is no secret, not even to Jen. The way he stares is embarrassing, so I steer the conversation to his wife.

"Kim didn't come with you?" I know the answer, but I am just trying to right the ship.

"Hey you, we figured you would not show." Emily slides between us and obviously has been drinking.

"I said I was coming, here I am."

"You say a lot of things." She stands with an uneasy grin.

"Hey, what are you guys talking about? Have you seen the movie?" Margie saves me from answering the grin.

"Nothing, yeah I saw it long ago, but I've never really been a fan like you guys." I'm trying to remember the plot and characters from The Big Lebowski.

"The Dude!!!!" They all chant, nearing a scream as I stare.

"That rug really ties the room together." Hugh points a the area rug and they all laugh uncontrollably - Hugh is obviously proud of his remark, but I am lost.

"Why don't you ever go to lunch with us? You're so antisocial." Emily returns the gaze in my direction.

"I've gone a few times. I dunno sometimes I have stuff to do."

"I guess, but you never really seem to be with us."

"With you? You're so unapproachable, so not sure what I'd say."

"Unapproachable? What the fuck? What does that even mean?" She takes a step back as her voice rises. All attention focuses on me as I pivot from foot to foot.

"You know, just closed off, you don't say much, that's all I meant." I regret ever showing up.

"I'll show you unapproachable."

She is in my space before I can react. I taste the lipstick as her tongue parts my lips, her hand grabs the back of my neck. I am stunned, laughter fills the room as she steps back and bows. They clap as I contemplate tasting the lipstick again. She shoots me a knowing glance as she turns and plops on the couch as the movie begins.

No comments:

Post a Comment