Monday, August 1, 2022

Hello?

I wade into the water, pull the spear back and thrust forward, hitting the fish, sticking it to the sandy bottom. I remove it and eyeball my handiwork before returning to shore, laying the fish across the flat rock letting the sun do the cooking. I think back to eating fish with my dad years ago, as the bones frightened me. Dad would place bread on my plate - eat it if I choke, it would push the bone loose, which made no sense. Thankfully, I never had to find out. There is no bread out here and I am an expert at navigating the boney terrain of the fish. I wipe my hands on a leaf and lean against a tree, promising myself I would never eat another fish if I ever get rescued. I close my eyes and hear a rustling in the distance followed by what sounds like a whisper.

"Hello!?" I stand up, create a megaphone with my hands and call out. This isn't the first time I have yelled like this.


There is silence as I stand there with hands on my hips. My body suddenly goes tense as my mind tells me what could be out there. I take a few steps backwards and pick up the spear - a solid fishing pole, but a weapon? I hear more noise in the distance - a low hum and then chatter or what seems like it. I wonder if my mind is playing tricks on me, but that usually happens in the darkness - I never knew it could be so dark.


My heart races as I start walking in the direction of the the sounds, it is the other side of the island. I realize it may not be good what I find, but I don't care. 

No comments:

Post a Comment