Monday, April 23, 2007

The truth


She conveniently ignored the fact that I was sitting in the junk room at the back of the house. That is, sitting in a corner chair in a dark room - the only quiet room at the moment - trying to collect my thoughts. It was a common reaction, for me, to a day with the family. Everybody knew that I needed my space from time to time. Well, everybody but her.

"Honestly, you are totally overreacting." I tried to avoid eye contact while responding to her sobs. I wanted her to leave, the sooner the better.

"Overreacting? I don't think so. Did you hear what she said to me?” She uttered through sobs while using her sleeve as a Kleenex.

"Of course, I didn't hear what she said, but I am positive you are making too much out of it." I wasn't sure what was said, but I was coming closer to hating her myself.

“How can you be so sure? And, why are you sitting in the dark?" The turned and flipped the light switch near the door while drying her eyes with the same sleeve.

“I have a headache.” I lied as my hands formed a visor as the light filled the room.

“Oh, sorry, do you want me to get some aspirin? Or, I have some Advil in my purse.”

“No.” It was a flat response. I chided myself as the words ‘Just turn off the fucking light and leave’ were swallowed without ever having lived.

"Anyway, I know she hates me, I am sure they all hate me." Her arms randomly waved back and forth as the sobbing halted.

"Look," I sighed while contemplating what to say. I watched as the forever growing body flopped in the seat on the opposite wall. I tried hard to push down the contempt I felt for her, but it was useless. "We are a tight little family and we don’t open up to outsiders."

“I am NOT an outsider, I am family!” The sobs returned as anger flashed in her eyes.

“No, you are not family. You married my brother. You didn’t marry me or anybody else in this family. Yes, I know that isn’t normal, but your life will be easier if you accept it. Besides, this isn’t a family you want to join.” I felt the truth flowing freely as this seemed like the time to finally set her straight.

No comments:

Post a Comment