Thursday, April 21, 2022

Dinner for two

"What can I get you?" He stands, leans back on his heels while wiping hands on the white apron.

"Hm, let's see," I stand before the case, looking through the glass at the wide variety of fish.

"Everything is fresh, not frozen."

"Nice." It seems like frozen is framed as bad in this situation, but does it really matter. Besides we are many miles from any water.

"It is flown in daily via FedEx."

"Really?" He had read my mind, I guess that is one of advantage of the nearby hub.

"Yeah, arrives every morning."

"She said Salmon, but I have never cooked Salmon, or really any fish." I stare at the pink fish, why is 'wild caught' more expensive?

"It is easy, a little olive oil, lemon and salt and throw it on the grill. Grill it skin side down and remove it once done. You can wrap it in foil to avoid avoid burning it. Cook it, 12-15 minutes and you are set."

"Nice, that doesn't sound too bad, how hot should the grill be?"

"Just set the flame, the knobs, halfway and you'll be good. You can check it at 10 minutes to be safe."

"Okay, I guess give me two pieces." I survey the rest of the store as he weights and wraps dinner.

"You can use that seasoning there as well, but give it a try without it the first time around." He motions towards a rack of rubs.

"Cool."

I exchange my money for the bag and stand there, not moving, wanting to say something but not sure what.

"I put a crab cake in there as well, give it a try - cook in pan, a little olive oil and a few minutes each side, she'll love it.

"Thank you."

No comments:

Post a Comment