Wednesday, April 13, 2022

What do I need?

As usual, I have forgotten my list and slowly walk the store grabbing items I think we need. Chills cover my arms as the store is freezing.

“I told him it isn’t his anyway, so don’t worry about it.” The woman grabs a can of baby formula and hurries down the aisle. I wonder if the phone conversation and item are related. I return to my shopping.


“It isn’t a bargain if we never use it.” The man is borderline yelling at another as one pushes the cart and the other walks to the side.


I see her to my left as I scan the shelf for a particular soup. She is leaning forward, it looks like she wants something on the lowest shelf. I glance down at my reflection in the floor as I think about helping her, the last time I tried did not go well as they acted offended. 


It seems like slow motion as I watch her knee give out and fall to her left and onto the floor, one hand still grasping the cart. I rush over, kneel down and ask if she is okay.


“I think so, just embarrassed. Can you help me up?”


She grabs my hand and I slowly help her stand and make sure she is steady. She looks around as I grab the saltines from the shelf and hand them to her.


“I don’t think anybody seen me, do you?”


“Nah, it is all good.”


“Well, I guess you saw me, thank you so much, I’m not sure what happened.” She smiles and pats my arm and takes the crackers.


“Are you sure you are okay?”


“Yes, thank you.”


I stand and watch as she shuffles towards the checkout lane. I walk in the opposite direction scanning the shelves.

No comments:

Post a Comment