Tuesday, April 26, 2022

Do Over

 Sweat beads on my head, the sun is unforgiving - there is nowhere to hide. I shield my eyes with my hand and lean back as she arrives.  My stomach churns as the engine is silenced and the door opens and slams shut. I stare at the ground as her footsteps smash the gravel. I want to run.


"Are you not even going to look at me?"


"Hey, sorry, the sun is blasting, like I am being cooked." I finally look at her, into those hazel green eyes, the eyes that seem to peer into my soul.


"Well, move over there in the shade, geez." She motions to the other side, under the trees and walks in that direction. I quickly follow, I am her shadow.


"So?"


"What?" If this were a movie, the director screams 'cut!' and gives direction on being subtle.


"Seriously? All those messages and now you play games?" She pushes her hands through that amazing hair, I want to reach out to her.


"It's not that, it's just ..... well, I dunno." 


"You sure seemed to know what you wanted, or did you just get what you wanted and that is that?" She stands with arms crossed, eyes tracking me.


"You know that is not true."


"Do I?"


"You should."


"Well, I don't, so you tell me ..." Her voice cracks, she looks up, stares into the sky, willing the tears away. 


"Of course, I want you, I want this." I step forward, embracing her, pushing the hair back - still not sure.

No comments:

Post a Comment