Tuesday, April 19, 2022

Preparation

The birds are lined up on the garage roof, waiting their turn on the feeder. How do they know the line up? A blue bird; a red bird, now that's a cardinal; a dark black bird, is that a crow? tiny tan colored variety, I should Google bird types. How do they all know when I fill the feeder? Sun is missing, clouds everywhere, I guess the weather dude was right this time - it could rain any minute now. I really need to trim those bushes. The black cat strolls through the yard, I still don't know where it calls home. The deck is a mess, but I would rather not power wash and stain it ... again. I see foot prints on the steps, squirrel? rabbit? nah, probably that cat as well. I look down at my watch, fifteen more minutes until the meeting, I am not sure what I will be asked but it should be fine. My eye rests on the sink full of dishes, I will tackle them later, why is it always me doing them? I see my reflection in the window and scrutinize my shirt as it will be a video meeting - always awkward for some reason. A dress shirt and pajama pants, a remnant of the pandemic? But, I've worked at home for years. How is the bird feeder already empty? Am I the only one feeding the birds? The bell returns me to the moment, I turn and lift the cup of tea from the microwave - add sugar and head to my office reminding myself to sit up straight and look into the camera, focus and actually listen to what others are saying, for once.

No comments:

Post a Comment