Monday, April 25, 2022

Why?

Does anybody else think of themselves as crazy for signing up for an online writing course? This is the third week of this journey, but the doubt persists. With that said, here is the list of reasons - mostly questions - that bombard me as I push forward with this course. I include my response, well responses I use on days I don't just give up.


  1. Nobody cares what you may (and probably never will) write. -  I think this sums up all of the self-doubt, but there is a lot of writing out there which does not interest me, so let's add to it.
  2. What am I supposed to do with feedback? - I have never been in a situation where anything I write is scrutinized. Wait, that isn't true as I wrote magazine articles both in old-fashioned print and online years ago. The comments from online users were always interesting, it is best to look away.
  3. How can I provide feedback when I have no clue what I am doing? - Who am I to judge another person's writing? I cannot provide any writing instruction, but I can comment on how it makes me feel and whether I find it interesting.
  4. What do you do when the class is over? - This is a great question, I guess I keep writing, or never write again, we'll see.
  5. Just quit, you are not a writer. - This is a hard one to argue against as it is true, but does it matter? I may never be one, but that does not mean I cannot write.
  6. What is the point? - This ventures into an existential crisis, but the class pushes me to regularly write as well as get actual feedback. At least for today, that is enough.

No comments:

Post a Comment