Thursday, June 2, 2022

If you insist

Before this online adventure, I attended one other writing class outside of freshman courses. Years ago, I enrolled in a writing course offered through a local university's continuing studies program. My girlfriend at the time decided to enroll as well, all the while saying she had no interest in it even though I never asked her to do it. I really had no clue what to expect sitting in the first meeting. The mix of people was a pleasant surprise along with the teacher - a local author who was actually upbeat and engaged. I had read a lot about writing classes which involved sharing and critiquing sessions with lively discussions that could be brutal. I wanted the brutality, or rather I wanted honesty. We left with a writing assignment. I threw myself into it while the girlfriend expressed no interest and dismissed it. During the next class, one by one creations were read with light discussions and then everybody looked in our direction, waiting and encouraging with their eyes - the girlfriend feigned embarrassment and kept saying no while waving her hands. The same thing she did she didn't want to do something and then did it. Meanwhile, I unfolded my masterpiece, preparing to read. She glances at me before standing, giggling and then reading an essay about a past Paris vacation. From what I can remember, the gist of the story was her boasting, or trying, about the trip. The story was just over five pages and she read every word, talking louder as the instructor tried to interrupt. The reading exhausted the remaining time. I folded my paper and pushed it into my pocket. She talked endlessly about the experience as we left the class. There were six more classes and this happened a few times, I never actually read anything and ended up skipping the last few as I was traveling. The relationship ended a few months later. 

No comments:

Post a Comment