Tuesday, June 7, 2022

You can't outrun the past

It is clear that my dad looms large from my writing during this course. It surprises me as I did not know it was occupying so much space in my mind. There are plenty of these stories, so I guess they could theoretically be pieced together for a longer piece. Another theme in a lot of my writing is the absurdity of the work environment/interactions, which seems to be a bigger topic these days with the effects of covid on work arrangements. Also, the daily prompt responses have been so different, interesting and entertaining. It reminds me of the book Seven Types of Ambiguity by Elliot Perlman where the same story is presented by seven different characters - it is amazing how differently people experience or remember an event. It is fiction, but it pushes the point that memory is subjective, so often what we write as nonfiction is the truth according to us, but then resource/interviews can be utilized. The old saying says the truth will set you free, and I have felt that via a lot of the writings during this course and the feedback has been excellent. 

No comments:

Post a Comment