Thursday, July 21, 2022

On the fly

I do not have any type of special "writing space", and I really don't think of myself as a writer. However, I write a lot with these writing prompts; my personal projects; tons of communications and an occasional online piece, so it makes me think about what is a writer? I guess my definition or idea is a writer as a person who gets paid to write and that is how they make a living. Are those the only people that can introduce themselves as a writer? This reminds me of a few years ago when I met an individual who said they were a writer which led the the inevitable questions of publications, their response was they were working on a book that was not complete. I was surprised, not because I did not believe them, but at the confidence in their introduction - I guess I was jealous as I give it further thought. When someone asks the popular "so, what do you do?" question, I always feel like I have to have a concrete answer with evidence to back it up as if I could show them a pay stub. My grandson often tells me he is an astronaut as he zooms around the house, who am I to question it? Does a person's occupation define them or is it rather their hobbies that really show the real person?

In terms of a writing space, I have no preference as I just like to write, especially when the urge or an idea hits. I guess a routine and consistent space would or could be more productive, but I am not sure. I just like to have or find the time to write.

No comments:

Post a Comment