Wednesday, July 20, 2022

Unlocked

I push the door and step into the darkness - light bulb out again. My eyes adjust as a door slams and two bodies scramble away. I jog down the driveway and towards them, squeezing the bat. I stop after a few houses. 

I stand for a moment, complete silence in suburbia - both soothing and disturbing. Every house is dark, except in the distance, light beaming from home. I stroll past Mike's impeccably manicured yard - mums blooming. I contemplate swinging the bat, but stop myself. I spot a For Sale sign in Linda's front yard, wondering when that appeared. Mike's house remains dark with no update on his hospital stay - I make a mental note to mow his lawn.

I open the truck door and immediately notice the missing bag. Anger erupts, I hop inside and turn the key.

A quick right after speeding through the stop sign and I spot two silhouettes approaching the playground just past Dave's house - a non-stop talker that always manages to catch me when heading to the playground. I gun the engine, they turn, see me and run. I laugh when noticing they stay on the sidewalk, we go another block before they disappear into the woods.

I stop and step out, standing at the edge of the trees. A giant sign to my right announcing a new development. Adrenaline is pumping, the bat feels good in my hand, the truck's engine echoing against the trees. I return to the truck, surveying the door. I think of crime shows and dusting for prints, it is old and full of scratches - like me. I realize I left it unlocked. I drive slowly, taking the long way home, searching for any sign of light, am I the only one awake?

No comments:

Post a Comment