Saturday, July 23, 2022

Wheels Up

My first experience in an airplane occurred in my mid-twenties. I landed a job with a consulting firm - they had a local office, but the headquarters was in New York. While I would work locally, I would regularly visit the mothership. This was before Expedia, so I called and booked a flight - paper tickets arrived in the mail. I talked to a friend with a little travel experience and got a few useless tips. I was a nervous wreck the days leading up to the trip. My stomach did flips as I boarded the flight. I paid closed attention to the flight attendant emergency procedures as everybody else ignored it. I was frightened as the plane took off - I leaned back and closed my eyes. I stood in the Newark airport waiting for my bag - I had followed my fellow passengers to the right location. Everybody around me seemed to know what they were doing, I felt like an imposter but this was nothing knew. My grandma's hand-me-down bag (it's first time on a plane as well) rested at my feet as I figured out transportation. Buses were supposedly simple, but the numbers were confusing plus I had never been on a bus. Eventually, I settled on a taxi - the driver met all of my expectations from tv shows as he drove like a maniac. My eyes widened taking in the famous skyline and people everywhere. It was like a Black Friday Walmart crowd waiting for the $50 television - it was overwhelming. I made it to my room and stood at the window, smiling, feeling like something had been accomplished then the loneliness returned - I had no clue what to do next.

No comments:

Post a Comment