Wednesday, July 13, 2022

There is no gray area

As the Three Dog Night songs says "The world is black, the world is white. It turns by day and then by night." Having been in a mixed relationship for many years, I quickly learned the difference between black and white in our society. Yes, I was naive. Very quickly I learned that I had no clue of anything related to race within our society - not a big surprise with me being a white guy. Being together irritated so many with no shortage of opinions, stares and comments. It was a shock in every sense of the word. I lost many so-called friends family, and all I can say is good-riddance. There were threats and a few fights, but we persevered. The backlash never came from who I suspected and that has been a constant in life - people always surprise me or rather my pre-conceived notions (prejudices?) are usually wrong. It colored (no pun intended) every aspect of life - we were always aware of surroundings; avoided certain areas; travel/vacations were in large cities with more diversity and so forth. Relationships are hard enough by themselves, the added scrutiny does not help. A byproduct of the experience is more compassion for all others not following a traditional path. Life is hard and people are doing their best to survive the daily grind and find happiness - live and let live.

No comments:

Post a Comment