Wednesday, February 14, 2007

Essay


Where to begin? I tear a sheet and drop the notebook on the floor. I quickly write my name at the top, but nothing appears. My thumb repeatedly pushes the head of the mechanical pencil with only a nub appearing. I turn the pencil and eyeball its point. A crude set of pliers are created with my hand as the small lead is released from the vessel. It is pushed to the floor as the head is pushed again. A sigh of relief is audible as an acceptable piece of lead appears. It points downward, locked and loaded, as thoughts are collected. I reread the question on the board - the messy letters spanning its green skin. Nothing, there is nothing as the argument from work continues to occupy my mind. I resolve to make her regret what she said, and wonder how he could take her side, but the stupor ends as I return to the small desk in the cold room. Snow strikes the window with the clock tower in the distance. I can't believe it is that late while returning to the task at hand. The words begin to flow with me the stenographer. I smile at the third sentence and continue to transcribe the flurry of ideas. The pencil stops after three paragraphs; a quick scan of the text reveals a good argument. The last paragraph is the summary with another smile as the pencil comes to a rest. I gently lay it on the desk and review again. The smack of the pencil on the floor is surprisingly loud. My arm hangs down as it is recovered, the eyes are upon me but I ignore them.

No comments:

Post a Comment