Wednesday, February 21, 2007

Smokey


I stand in the doorway as my eyes slowly adjust to the dark interior. Smoke fills every inch of the place with poles glimmering in the fog - like beacons in a stormy night. A man with a tight black shirt with security across the back looks me up and down and tells me to enter. He resembles a former football player from a local team, but I say nothing. The mind is overwhelmed as exposed flesh is visible everywhere. It is hard to convince the mind that it is okay to look, indeed expected. I approach the bar to gather myself and order a drink - a six dollar coke never tasted so good. I feel a hand on my shoulder and turn to see my buddy. I relax, no longer feeling like a perv. He motions to a table near one of the stages and I follow. We talk about the game as our eyes survey the surroundings. My body jerks, startled, as a arm grasps my neck. An unfamiliar face is suddenly within inches of mine - selling her services. I refuse and she pushes me while strolling away - nervous laughter erupts at the angry woman. The main attraction is announced, we turn our chairs to face the stage as the show begins.

No comments:

Post a Comment