Thursday, March 1, 2007

Evidence


A loud thud startles me. I spin my chair around to investigate and find her standing with hand pressed against my desk. My eyes slowly travel from her hand, up the arm, the vulnerable neck, and finally ours eyes meet - it is not a friendly gaze.
"What's up?" I finally break the silence.
"You tell me." Her eyes remain locked on me as she moves her hand to reveal the source of the noise. My eyes examine the shiny jewelry before returning to her gaze. The silence returns and fills the room.
"Well?" She lowers her body into the nearby chair and leans forward with elbows on her knees and hands clasped under her chin.
"Well what?" While I realize the idiocy of the answer, I truly don't know what she is asking.
"I found this in your car - under the passenger seat."
"O-okay, did you vacuum, because it is so dirty." The humor is ill-placed, but my mind is swirling as the source of the earring registers in my mind. I wonder if my eyes revealed the ah-ha moment.
"Very funny, I found this as well." A small clear bag with several blonde hairs joins the jewelry on the desk.
"I don't carry bags of hair." I lean back and smile as the ground beneath me becomes less firm.
"No shit, but I found this hair in the backseat."
"Seriously, you watch too many crime dramas." I fondly remember how the hair ended up on the seat. I had been surprised that she wasn't a natural blonde.
"It's my job; you know I hate those shows." She leans back in the chair with arms locked on the arm rests.
"Shouldn't you be working on real cases?" Becoming involved with a forensic pathologist had seemed neat at some time in the past. While nobody had died, her investigative skills would sink me.
"There is nothing more real than this."
"I don't know what to say." I lean back in my chair and ponder the next move.
"Well, think of something, I have time."
"Look, you are always jumping to conclusions, I have people in and out of that car all day - it's part of the job. It is probably one of my clients."
"I seriously doubt that."
"Whatever, anyway, I don't have time for this." I wave my hand to both express my displeasure and tell her to leave.
"Shall we discuss the results of my analysis of the backseat? It seems you've been busy." Her jaw is firm and the confidence behind the statement is alarming. The silence returns to the room as I evaluate damage recovery options.

No comments:

Post a Comment