Thursday, March 22, 2007

You're hired


I slowly survey the room as I sit at the table. It could be any room in any office building since they are all the same. The chair squeaks as I push away from the table and spin to face the wall behind me. I stand and walk to the window. I shield my eyes with my hand while scanning the parking lot for my car before figuring out it is parked on the other side. I stand and watch the doorknob turn as a woman enters.

"Can I get you anything?" She drops a stack of papers on the table while grabbing a bottle of water from a nearby table. I wonder how I missed seeing the drinks. My eyes dance over her body with every movement.

"No, thank you." She pushes the hair behind her left ear while taking a seat. I remove my jacket before returning to my chair.

"This shouldn't take too long." She gives me a quick glance while downing part of the water.

"Okay, no rush." This is actually I lie. I want to leave as soon as possible.

"Well, nothing unusual, I'm sure you've been through this before." She continues to talk while shuffling papers, never looking up.

The forms appear in front of me one by one each with a long-winded description that I ignore. I suddenly realize that I can peek down her shirt when she leans to push papers my way - the pink lace of her bra is strangely exciting.

"This is last set is the insurance. I know Mike covered this with you. Do you have any questions?"

"No."

I sign and slide the last paper in her direction. I feel my face go red as she seems to catch my voyeurism. She sits erect and straightens the paperwork.

"Well, welcome to the team." She stands while extending her right hand. I follow protocol and give her a quick shake. I suddenly feel nauseous, the thought of being a part of anything is less than appealing. I fight the urge to scream and run.

No comments:

Post a Comment