Wednesday, March 7, 2007

The verdict


"What is this?" The intensity of her words is alarming.
"Just what I said." I try to return the stare, but eventually look away to avert the gaze.
"Like that means anything."
"Wait a minute." I realize that I am on trial.
"No, you wait." The rise of her voice is noticeable.
"C'mon, I meant every word." I am suddenly very tired.
"Yeah, I've heard that before."
"No, no you haven't, well, not from me." I look at the ground while scanning past conversation.
"No, I'm talking about your lies."
"Oh." I feel the remaining energy seep from my body. I wave my hands in her direction - the white flag, but she ignores the gesture.
"Yeah, that's right, oh, cat got your tongue?" She is inspired by the lack of fight.
"No, not exactly, it's just..."
"Just what?" She interupts me with more questions.
"Look, I'm not lying, but I am beginning to regret ever bringing it up. Let's forget the whole thing." I turn and head for the door. There is silence as I turn the doorknob and glance back in her direction. She is standing with her eyes on me but her thoughts are anywhere but in the present.
"Okay, what did you have in mind? And when?" She says while ending her silence.
"I'm not sure, maybe this summer?" I stop and gently close the door and return to her side.
"That is soon. I'll have to make some arrangements, but it shouldn't be a problem." A slight smile forms on her face. It seems I made a good case and a favorable decision has been made. I reach out and touch her hand as further details are discussed.

No comments:

Post a Comment