Monday, May 8, 2023

I have to choose just one?

So many books, so little time - these are the titles that popped in my head. The World According To Garp - John Irving The Quiet American - Graham Greene This is the Night Our House Will Catch Fire - Nick Flynn Little Children - Tom Perrotta The End of Alice - AM Homes Seven Types of Ambiguity - Elliott Perlman The Talented Mr Ripley - Patricia Highsmith High Fidelity - Nick Hornby Seven Types of Ambiguity sticks out as I loved the writing. It was a very long book, but it fascinated me as it presents one story through the lens of six characters. Their perspectives and delivery of the same story are wonderful. It shows how people can have vastly different experiences with the same event. It is a work of fiction, but I see it every day in life whether talking to my partner, siblings or friends. It is revealing to pose the question "what did you hear me say" after a conversation, although it can be weird to ask it. It's like a therapist or colleague saying "okay, this is what I hear you saying" and you either agree or correct them. The book may not be my favorite of all time, but it sure made an impression on myself. Nick Hornby's High Fidelity is a great book (especially if you love music), I am a big Hornby fan - loved his regular column in The Believer where he rambled on what he had been reading and books he had recently purchased.

No comments:

Post a Comment