Monday, May 30, 2022

Fill it up

I could not believe my luck as I spotted the air hose at the gas station on the corner. I swerved into the parking lot and pulled up to the hose. I spotted a worker near the front door as I stood with door open and eyeballing the hose. I quickly decided to ask about it before grabbing the hose.


"Hey, is the air free for anybody?" I motioned to the hose lying on the pavement in front of my car.


"Does a bear shit in the woods?" He smiled and spit brown liquid to his left. I immediately recognized the outline of the Skoal can in his pocket and the small bump below is lower lip.


"I guess it does." I laugh to myself, not hearing that phrase or question in years. The old neighborhood had not changed.


"Air get you only so far if that tire is leaking." He pointed to my car, seemingly trying to make a sale.


"It's a slow leak, just wanted to top it off before hitting mom's house and then heading home."


"You o'er fill it and it'll be ruint." 


"Yeah, good point, I'll stay at the recommended amount, I have a gauge." I hold up the silver tire gauge as proof, thinking I need to proof I am not an idiot.


"I can plug her up if just a hole, otherwise it'll be more work or maybe a new one."


"I appreciate it, but it is covered by a warranty, I'll take it to them tomorrow." Why was I trying to explain myself to this kid?


"Suit yourself."


"Thank you, I really appreciate it." I filled the tire and went through the motions of checking with the gauge although I had never planned to use it. I looked up and the kid was gone inside.


I sped out the parking lot towards mom's house and I kept wondering if bears actually do relieve themselves in the woods, I assume yes and there has to be plenty of evidence scattered around forests.

No comments:

Post a Comment