Thursday, May 5, 2022

Show up

 One belief embedded in my psyche is just show up. I would like to attribute this to my grandmother, but I can't pinpoint her ever saying it - maybe she just taught me by example? I think back to being twelve and playing in my first official sports league. I cannot remember how I performed (other than generally not good), but I can tell you who showed up to my games. It was my brother and dad. When I had a complete meltdown in college, my best friend was there. The car trouble that turned into a disaster when I was 25? Yep, my brother and dad were there. I lived this belief before realizing it. When there were problems at work, I would be there to help the team either actually doing something or moral support. When my grandma was moved to a nursing home, I left my job hours away and was there with her - do I remember the job? No. Of course, there are countless examples, but it dawned on me a couple years ago during a discussion of what single piece of advice would you give younger persons? Without thinking too much, I confidently said "Just Show Up." I heard myself say it and it stuck with me, swirling in my brain, and I reflected on my life and the many examples of living the belief. Think about things in your past - good or bad - and who was there?

No comments:

Post a Comment