Thursday, May 26, 2022

Rainy

[BEFORE]


The raindrops hit the window sill, the sky lights up and I am suddenly sitting in Mamaw's kitchen. She is baking her famous apple kuchen, baking it just for me. I can smell the rain through the screened back porch, it mixes with the dog pee as the porch is their bathroom as well. I sit on my stool and smile as she sings her favorite Eddie Rabbit song - I Love a Rainy Night - you see a rainy night washed away all of  his cares and just makes him feel good. I think of my time with Mamaw the same way. A big hug and my troubles were gone. She would send me to the utility room - washer/dryer and storage area - to fetch a bottle of soda, a bottle just for me. I'd open that bottle sitting at her table, savor every drop as she worked her magic in the kitchen or told me a story. I was one of her ten grandchildren, so one-on-one time with her was extra special. Like the Eddie Rabbit song, I always woke up to a sunny day after time with her. The power of a song to transport is amazing - Mamaw loved country music, so I am forever tied to Merle, Conway, Dolly and many more forever embedded in my memory.


[AFTER]


The raindrops strike the window as lightning fills the sky. Mamaw is baking her famous apple kuchen. The combination of rain and dog pee from the back porch is overwhelming. Mamaw hums her favorite Eddie Rabbit song as I am perched on my stool. Eddie proclaims he loves a rainy night as it washes away all of his cares making him feel good. A big hug from Mamaw affected me the same way.. I would sit drinking my own bottle of soda with her at the kitchen table doing any number of things while telling me stories. Being the youngest of her ten grandchildren had its perks. I always woke up to a sunny day after time with her just like Eddie Rabbit after a rainy night. The power of a song to transport is amazing.

No comments:

Post a Comment